- What is Music Therapy?
Music Therapy (MT) is an established healthcare profession that uses music to address physical, emotional, cognitive, and social needs of individuals of all ages. Music therapy improves the quality of life for persons who are well and meets the needs of children and adults with disabilities or illnesses. Music therapy interventions can be designed to promote wellness manage stress alleviate pain express feelings enhance memory improve communication Promote physical rehabilitation.
Research in music therapy supports its effectiveness in a wide variety of healthcare and educational settings
Thus Music Therapy (MT) can be defined as the systematic application of music in the treatment of the physiological and psychosocial aspects of an illness or disability. It focuses on the acquisition of nonmusical skills and behaviors, as determined by a board certified music therapist through systematic assessment and treatment planning.
- The advantages of MT
The modern person suffering from various threats to well being is rarely sure what will cure him. There are many instances where neither Allopathic nor Ayurvedic treatments take him to comfort at least for a brief while. In such instances the waves of music from MT reach him/her to bring comfort without any adverse side effects. The results are there for immediate feeling. Those who suffer pain both internally or externally like cancer patients, physically handicapped are greatly relieved when MT is applied. The effect on the pregnant person or a child in distress is even more remarkable. For them MT not only bring a immediate relief but also provide long term gains like greater confidence, lesser violence and greater spirituality down the years.
Raagas of music address the patient ( As a part of nature and not the disease. Raagas connected with different times of the day like Pre dawn, dawn, forenoon noon, afternoon, evening and night are made use of in this venture. Samaya Sangeetham is the best antibiotic of the world and without side effects or reactions. As a result of listening to the well rhythmed, well tuned and well sung music, blood count and oxygen content increases, blood pressure and tension decreases. Pain and strain vanishes.
- How MT is practiced
Positive suggestions affect the sub conscious mind and in turn the outer mind. It keeps away the strain and pain of disease and takes the patient to a state of uninterrupted Dhyana.
For auxiliary support touch, smell and yoga therapies are also used. During a MT treatment session, usually extending 10 or 21 days, natural vegetarian diet is compulsory and liquor and intoxicating drinks are strictly prohibited. Visuals, especially 3D visuals are applied in rooms to create more natural environment during the treatment period.
- The functions and activities of Swathy Thirunal Kalakendra Music Therapy Foundation (STKMTF)
- Posses more than 1200 music students/experts dedicated to MT.
- In Kerala alone music teaching centers owned and initiated by STKMTF at
- Calicut University
- There is plan for opening STKMTF centers in all metropolitan cities of India.
- STKMTF owns in Kozhikode about 23 cents of land and essential building structures.
- A MT foundation building is coming up in Thiruvannur (Kozhikode) based on 10 lakh fund received from MP fund of Abdu Sammad Samadani MP (Rajyasabha)
- Technical contribution from 30 expert doctors
- Own tempo traveler van for troupe for MT sessions at differing geographical locations.
- Experts and equipments for
- Western musical intstruments
- Detailed, deep and accurate research and investigative experience in MT spanning about 17 years from 1988.
- Modern computerized office and office staff at STKMTF main office at Thiruvannur (Kozhikode).
- The selfless and indomitable leadership provided by Kaithapram Damodharan Namboodiri as managing trusty and chairman of MT foundation continuously for the last 17 years amidst his contributions to music literature and films recognized the world over.
- The soulful and true support and co- operation poring from diverse sections of Kerala society and government cutting across politics and religion strengthen STKMTF hands today and tomorrow.